Do you think collegiate athletes should earn a salary?

Dot

I'm not talking about any scholarships or anything like that. I mean should college sports players earn a yearly salary on top of any scholarships that they may have earned. What's your take and why?

Reactions: 7

Administrator
Staff Team
No because it is college...

HOWEVER... THE NCAA IS A PIECE OF ABSOLUTE UTTER GARBAGE.

They should be allowed to sign autographs, get sponsorships and be in advertisements. Its an absolute joke that they aren't.

Also... if they had to be paid... i would say only football because of injury risk :]

Dot

They should be allowed to sign autographs, get sponsorships and be in advertisements. Its an absolute joke that they aren't.

Also... if they had to be paid... i would say only football because of injury risk :]
The NCAA reported an annual $1 billion dollars in revenue you don't think the players who make it happen shouldn't get some of that? And also like you said there is a huge risk factor for some of these players especially considering how low the percentage is that they even go pro. I don't think they should be getting paid nfl contract wages, but they should get something even if it's held as a trust fund until they graduate as an incentive to finish school.

Administrator
Staff Team
I mean they should go play minor leagues if they want to get paid for it.. not college :D

I don't like the idea of educational institutions compensating students for participating in athletics. Universities exists to enlighten students, and I think athletics are a distraction from academia and research

I think a private organizations should exist, like the JBA, where high school athletes can immediately play. I'm not against young athletes being compensated for their play, but payment certainly shouldn't come from government-funded colleges.

So they don't get paid for wearing UA in like maryland? I mean UA was founded and HQ is there I think. wack.
Nobody's got a shoe sig/sig logo on collegiate level so it'd make sense for them to not get a mere pay.. lol.

Tournament Director
Feature Tester
The argument that the NCAA pulls in $1 billion a year is a misconception. That's revenue, not net. NCAA is a very large organization with a lot of expenses. After all expenses the NCAA incurs are taken into account (a lot of money is drained into sports that aren't profitable, i'm assuming anything that's not basketball or football isn't profitable), there's almost definitely not enough money to divide up between athletes to pay each of them a meaningful amount.

I agree they should be able to sign autographs / sell their likeness. I think the problem the NCAA has with this is that it could impact recruiting where the schools that best help athletes sell their brand get the better recruits. Could remedy this by disallowing schools to aid athletes in the process of selling their likeness.

Administrator
Developer
Staff Team
eh? maybe the college can have sports team manager clubs. like an in-college coop / internship program or even as a part of a course. these managers can use the teams as advertisement for other clubs on campus and collect $$$ which is eventually distributed to team members , as well as when they play games they should get paid a share by the arena if seats are sold

I watched 2 videos from AJ Lapray about what it's like to be a basketball player in the NCAA. After thinking it over, I think that players should have the right to make money from side businesses. I still don't think players should earn a base salary though

Top Bottom