Open Suggestion: Game mode: Frontlines (alternate name could be Tug of War)

Pawn Credits
This game mode would basically be a lot like assault. But instead of having a designated attacking team and defending team that fill those roles the whole game, the zone starts in the middle of the two teams. Then each team has to try to capture the zone to push the next zone closer and closer to the enemy's side until they get to the other end of the map. The game is won after one team captures the last zone on their opponent's end.

Matches could have a time limit, where after ten or twenty minutes the winner is decided based on where the current zone is (or a draw if the current zone is the center). Or they could optionally have no time limit.

Upvote 1
I have a general map format in mind that would allow this gamemode to be really fun.

Basically you have an odd number of zones. Five, seven, nine, etc. And the starting zone would be in the center, or somewhere equally accessible by both teams. And the map features around the starting zone would be symmetrical on both sides, so neither team has a geographical advantage at that starting zone.

Then, as the zone gets captured by one team, the map would be designed to give a minor geographical advantage to the losing team that the winning team has to overcome. As you capture more zones and push towards either side's final zone that would end the game, the map would be designed to give progressively greater and greater geographical advantages to the losing team. That way when one team has pushed all the way to the end and only has one zone they need to cap to win the game, the team that's about to lose has such great geographical advantages that the team that's about to win basically has to storm and conquer a fortress.

Obviously the geographical advantages should never be quite so slanted as to be basically impossible. But the difficulty of capturing the next zone should scale as you get closer to winning the game. It should work sort of like a pendulum, where the map is designed with a "center of gravity" of sorts to make the gameplay tend towards the middle, and the winning team will be the one who is best able to overcome that effect.

you know that's called map design? i will call up a great map designer (my friend @zen) who will be sure to be able to design this map for you.

you know that's called map design? i will call up a great map designer (my friend @zen) who will be sure to be able to design this map for you.

The map concept doesn't work without the game supporting the associated game mode. Of course I could make a map with these described features, but it doesn't really work when people's spawn points don't change in any controlled and calculated pattern.

Back
Top Bottom