[CTF] Sinkholes (Large)

Pawn Credits
Hey everyone, first post on the new forums but introduced myself a bit on the other ones. I'm RipIt, used to be a leader of the PTMMT. This map is designed for a larger team clan war CTF map where deaths are punished pretty hard because the spawns aren't directly by the flag. Instead, you have to choose to go towards the middle which involves pushing a hill that has +2 height advantage on you when you're in the pit, or to go towards your base and try to hold your base. With only limited space in the base having a recon or someone to get in and out quickly is important as getting stalled in a firefight there will allow the defending team to push from two directions.
AfR6P2L.png

Would love to hear some feedback on what you guys think. I know it's a bit chaotic

The concept with the spawns away from flag started with rivalry and I dont think we've seen many maps with such spawns since, which is a shame imo. My main problem is the path where I drew the white line. If passage there is disallowed, then you're going to have a serious bottleneck around the middle, which is especially problematic for a map this size(I'm thinking 5 to 8 people?). Whether that passage is open or not is quite crucial in regards to feelings towards this map.
The other things I drew are more subjective changes, which is more a matter of taste I think. Elevation could be extended to include the red line so that it would be harder for enemy to camp the elevations marked with red circles. Blue line is a spray line which is downright detrimental if the path marked with the white line isn't opened. Sit a heavy there and the game basically comes to a halt until that heavy is killed. If the white lined path is opened, that spray line would still be very powerful, but by all means acceptable. Overall a good map with alot of potential

Untitled.png

I'm actually not too concerned about the spray line that Ganio pointed out, as it requires some luck to actually kill someone from that far of a distance without seeing anything. However, I do agree that the green elevations are overpowered, making it almost impossible to kill the flag carrier. I have two methods to counter this problem: (1) simply remove that elevation (2) replace the donut with a small elevation accessible only on the side near the spawns, and add a wall on the other side to prevent a 360-degree style spraying. The trade off is the path that Ganio recommended opening. I personally prefer a single-path CTF because it can really force people to meet and fight.

Put this in PT, MoMo I really dont want to say this again but can we please add Talk To Frank and LI (Reverse) back in. Remove MoMo Trade Port Map or limit to 3,4 players. Finally, put back MoMo Land Reverse

I like the sinkhole theme but I don't like how they look side by side. Where the row of 4 sink holes is, I feel like there should be a wall in the middle to prevent spawn spraying from the elevation, once you get in their base.

Hey everyone I appreciate all the feedback! Thanks to everyone that showed their support, I'm working on an update where I hope I can address some of the concerns below.

Ganio:
The concept with the spawns away from flag started with rivalry and I dont think we've seen many maps with such spawns since, which is a shame imo. My main problem is the path where I drew the white line. If passage there is disallowed, then you're going to have a serious bottleneck around the middle, which is especially problematic for a map this size(I'm thinking 5 to 8 people?). Whether that passage is open or not is quite crucial in regards to feelings towards this map.
The other things I drew are more subjective changes, which is more a matter of taste I think. Elevation could be extended to include the red line so that it would be harder for enemy to camp the elevations marked with red circles. Blue line is a spray line which is downright detrimental if the path marked with the white line isn't opened. Sit a heavy there and the game basically comes to a halt until that heavy is killed. If the white lined path is opened, that spray line would still be very powerful, but by all means acceptable. Overall a good map with alot of potential

View attachment 326
So, my intention was the white path would be open. I haven't been able to test it in the client yet so I am not sure, but I believe that pathway is open. I wanted to allow a quick path to the middle if you got a good spawn, but it would come at a risk as you had to push the hill you've circled in red. However, now that you point out how massive that spray line is that path concerns me as I think teams would try to rush that repeatedly to spawn camp. In the update I'm working on the area the blue line enters between the two sets of walls. I'm thiking I will change that small hill + zig-zag line wall area, and extend the small 2x1 wall slightly below it a bit higher, possibly including some elevation to counter fire with.

I'm also going to play with the elevation outside the teams base on the sides, but I am not sure what I want to do with that yet. I like the current design and am not positive I will adjust it.

MoMo:
I'm actually not too concerned about the spray line that Ganio pointed out, as it requires some luck to actually kill someone from that far of a distance without seeing anything. However, I do agree that the green elevations are overpowered, making it almost impossible to kill the flag carrier. I have two methods to counter this problem: (1) simply remove that elevation (2) replace the donut with a small elevation accessible only on the side near the spawns, and add a wall on the other side to prevent a 360-degree style spraying. The trade off is the path that Ganio recommended opening. I personally prefer a single-path CTF because it can really force people to meet and fight.
I like the sinkhole theme but I don't like how they look side by side. Where the row of 4 sink holes is, I feel like there should be a wall in the middle to prevent spawn spraying from the elevation, once you get in their base.
I think the concept of single-path CTF is a great point you made. I think adjusting the pathways to try and encourage that flow is probably a good idea, the elevation idea around the donut is one I'm probably going to implement. I may put it lower in some of that unused pit area and instead put a wall a bit above so it can only be used to fire at the middle/enemy side, and not something used to attack back over towards your base.

I do agree it takes some luck from that distance. I'm not sure the exact tile distance you can see I have to test that out and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll have an update within a day or two I can share.

Back
Top Bottom