Open Suggestion: Strengthen the Guard Class

Pawn Credits
While thinking on the subject of balance between PT classes, one major outlier stood out to me: Guard. The uses for such a class, as it stands, are few and far between. It has a sort of niche on a map like Trenches, but is rarely called upon outside of that environment. I think the reason for that is because its' defense, its' calling card, can be exposed rather easily. My suggestions are simple:

-I agree with an idea I saw on Sandboxd a long time ago: Give Guard a melee option. A shield bash makes a lot of sense.
-Increase its' speed: While a class like Guard should not rival Lancers, for example, in speed, a small increase could help an isolated guard flee/defend itself. As it stands, it can easily be run around and dealt with.

Just some food for thought.

Upvote 0
While thinking on the subject of balance between PT classes, one major outlier stood out to me: Guard. The uses for such a class, as it stands, are few and far between. It has a sort of niche on a map like Trenches, but is rarely called upon outside of that environment. I think the reason for that is because its' defense, its' calling card, can be exposed rather easily. My suggestions are simple:

-I agree with an idea I saw on Sandboxd a long time ago: Give Guard a melee option. A shield bash makes a lot of sense.
-Increase its' speed: While a class like Guard should not rival Lancers, for example, in speed, a small increase could help an isolated guard flee/defend itself. As it stands, it can easily be run around and dealt with.

Just some food for thought.
Of course, Guard certainly needs to be buffed. Most of the PT community agreed on that.

1) I like the idea of a shield bash, provides some ground for the Guard to stand for itself in times of isolation.
2) I think it needs a speed boost as well, obviously not too much, but that would definitely be balancing.
3) The ammo HAS to be increased. If I’m not mistaken it takes 17 shots to kill a Recon/Commander(as said by Kyske). The Guard only has 200 bullets which is far too little for the situations Guard is placed in.
4) What do you all think about an damage increase? I think a damage increase for the Uzi would do. If the above three(priority) are implemented, I’m guessing this doesn’t really have to be.
5) Accuracy increase? Same thing as point 4.
6) Grenade and flash increase? Ok, maybe I’m gone too far lolol.

3) The ammo HAS to be increased. If I’m not mistaken it takes 17 shots to kill a Recon/Commander(as said by Kyske). The Guard only has 200 bullets which is far too little for the situations Guard is placed in.
4) What do you all think about an damage increase? I think a damage increase for the Uzi would do. If the above three(priority) are implemented, I’m guessing this doesn’t really have to be.
5) Accuracy increase? Same thing as point 4.

I was entertaining these possibilities as well. I thought I might have been getting a bit ahead of myself, so I'm glad you share the same sentiments. In my opinion, if the shield bash and speed boost are put into place, I'd start by only increasing the amount of ammo/fixing the accuracy issue. I'd go from 200 bullets to 350.

I feel like a boost in speed in shield form, higher ammo capacity, and a bit more precision is all that is needed to make the class more viable. Don't wanna make it op, just make it so it is a feasible option to choose from in a clan war. Of course it is not gonna be useful in every situation like this but it is not meant to be played alone but with a team and adding a melee would just make it too op and ruin its original purpose of being used strategically in team battles.

We could make the shield bash such that it isn't that dangerous, it doesn't have to be like Assault/Heavy melee, just something small and nice. Push back would be nice, but in general, it would be like 4-5 hits to kill light armor, 7-8 for medium, and 12-13 for heavy. Just some suggestions of course, nothing set in stone.

Let's just keep it the way it is, and let it throw nades and flashes with the shield up. increase its stock to 6 nades and 4 flashes and its specialty is taking out heavily defended fortifications

It’s specialty is stated to push the front lines forward. It’s called Guard, not assault, for a reason.

Why don’t you think the ammo has to be increased? Shield bash? Etc.

In summary,

-Shield Bash (with less damage tho)
-Increase a bit in speed when Bash is on
-Add a flash or 2
-More ammo
-Maybe better precision

TL;DR ^

“Increase a bit in speed when Bash is on”
I think Skee meant “Shield is on”, because bash would automatically be on when shield is on.

a- Why is the breeze fading? Will it go away? Will there be another transformation soon upon us?

We could make the shield bash such that it isn't that dangerous, it doesn't have to be like Assault/Heavy melee, just something small and nice. Push back would be nice, but in general, it would be like 4-5 hits to kill light armor, 7-8 for medium, and 12-13 for heavy. Just some suggestions of course, nothing set in stone.

To piggyback off of this, I was thinking that a guard's shield bash could have a short stun capability, as a trade off for limited damage output.

To piggyback off of this, I was thinking that a guard's shield bash could have a short stun capability, as a trade off for limited damage output.

All of this sounds great, but I’m pretty sure a shield bash will never be implemented, or if so, it’ll take a while.

I think we should just tamper around with speed, explosives, accuracy, and damage, as those are much easier to implement in and most of the community will agree with these changes.

Bump cos this is probably the most important thread in this section
In summary,

-Shield Bash (with less damage tho)
-Increase a bit in speed when Bash is on
-Add a flash or 2
-More ammo
-Maybe better precision

Melee: Yea, first of all, what @Sniper said. A melee that can 1-hit cons would be borderline OP. Even dealing half of max hp on light armor would already be very powerful. Second. Melee option is probably the hardest one for alex to implement. Guard already activates shield on F, so you either will have to find a new button or have the melee happen simultaniously with the shield activation/deactivation. If we find a new button for melee, we will have to decide whether melee can be used with shield up or not, as this would heavily influence the power level of the class. Also, I have no idea as to whether either of the options are actually possible for alex to code.
If melee is added, then no other buffs should be needed for guards to be able to hold their own imo(perhaps a flash wouldn't hurt). If not, then I am in agreement to all the other suggestions, with the addition of either increased bullet damage or changing the bullet type to explosive, in order to better counter cons, seeing as they're probably the class that makes guard the liablity that it is in CTF games.

Let's just keep it the way it is, and let it throw nades and flashes with the shield up. increase its stock to 6 nades and 4 flashes and its specialty is taking out heavily defended fortifications
Throwing nades/flashes with shield up is great idea tbh, but this alone will not solve our of objective making guard see more play. In order to do this, we will have to make it more viable in the most played game mode, which is CTF. In order to do that, we have to make it suck less ass against the most played class in the most played game mode, which is recon. So, while your idea will improve the power of guard, it will only do so in situations where guards are already powerful and its lone addition will not do enough towards our objective of increasing the array of situations in which it can be useful

Tldr:
My suggestion:
1) Shield and melee activation on F. Melee doing 60 dmg to light armor(same as assault melee on med armor), 35ish on med armor
2) Flashbang(s) along with the ability to toss auxillary with shield active is really cool and makes for a solid counter against camp
If no melee: A solid mix of all of the other change suggestions should do

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom