Being Fat or Working Out?

Pawn Credits
Which is more addictive?
Being fat obviously produces pleasurable sensations from eating decadent and indulgent foods
Working out releases endorphins and can be highly addictive. Some people take HGH or steroids to accompany their addiction

Are there any members who have been overweight and have developed an addiction to fitness and would like to share their story?

I hit 240 once then got uc now im like 170. blood loss will really fk up weight.

its all like sweet then fml at same time!

I think being overweight is more addictive.

The first 10 minutes of a training session are not that enjoyable and during cold rainy weather my motivation is low too. Once your training is over you get that sense of accomplishment.
But the thing is getting started is much harder than just eating unhealthy food lol

I don't work out regularly tho (like twice a week). Maybe that's why I consider it to be not addicting.

Overweight b/c most people don't have the dedication, work ethic, motivation to go to the gym.

Fancy words for addiction, especially when the cause is the ego
I'm more-so referring to lifestyle habits (while putting addiction to the side). It is much tougher for an average person to go work-out or do any physical activity for let's say 30m-1hr per day. This can be due to working, school, whatever but the point is that it is much easier for someone to indulge in "unhealthy" snacks (coupled with being fairly sedentary - netflix, gaming, etc) than it is to set time aside in their schedule to improve their physical health. Also considering the longer time period needed to even achieve a well-sculpted or athletic body (which requires those values I mentioned), I'm not surprised to see obesity is such a prominent issue in American society.
It's interesting how American media and culture contrasts east asian culture where they prioritize the slim/skinny model and small portions.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if you're referring to addiction in its brain disorder categorization or how it can be colloquially used like "man, I'm so addicted to working out, I feel a little bad since I skipped today"

I'm more-so referring to lifestyle habits (while putting addiction to the side). It is much tougher for an average person to go work-out or do any physical activity for let's say 30m-1hr per day. This can be due to working, school, whatever but the point is that it is much easier for someone to indulge in "unhealthy" snacks (coupled with being fairly sedentary - netflix, gaming, etc) than it is to set time aside in their schedule to improve their physical health. Also considering the longer time period needed to even achieve a well-sculpted or athletic body (which requires those values I mentioned), I'm not surprised to see obesity is such a prominent issue in American society.
It's interesting how American media and culture contrasts east asian culture where they prioritize the slim/skinny model and small portions.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if you're referring to addiction in its brain disorder categorization or how it can be colloquially used like "man, I'm so addicted to working out, I feel a little bad since I skipped today"
What he said.

When you are in the navy for 4 years, and you have to wake up at 4 AM every single day to run 3 miles -- you learn that Physical Training is the devil.

And the only thing that can truly bring pleasure is liquor, food, & cigarettes.

Before college, I was fat because I played too much Pawn Tactics. Then during my early years of college, I had a massive gym addiction where I would skip classes to work out, and go to the gym 2-3 times a day. I cut my meals as well so I became lean to the point of being deprived of energy and ultimately rendered myself unhealthy.

That experience taught me, and now I eat well, employ occasional cheat days, and consistently go to the gym for no more than an hour and a half 3-5 times a week.

You need a balance of both to maintain a happy, healthy lifestyle as well as to attend to your work/other hobbies.

so I became lean to the point of being deprived of energy and ultimately rendered myself unhealthy.

There is never a lack of energy when you are lean! If you run out of fat to use as energy, the body decomposes your muscles and uses it as energy!

In all honesty, I'm not fat nor skinny, But i'm fit, and my job is very physical so when i'm home after a days work, i find it hard to find motivation to exercise outside of work.
Also i love food not gonna lie.

I think the neurological pathways that drive these addictions are comparatively similar. Overall, I believe being fat is easier and worse. Consuming fats, salts, sugars and trigger neurological activity. Bingeing on food has a physical psychological addictive. Whereas working out excessively is also psychologically motivated (for ego purposes), but there is no physical dependency component.

@TDK wow that's a crazy story. You're a prime example of how being addicted to working out can easily be classified as an addiction.
@FootNinja, well I guess that wouldn't count. It seems your situation is undermined by your job and living circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom