USA Drug Policy

Pawn Credits
Briefly
USA is #1 country in drug use & has high prison population
There are many addicts in U.S.A. and the current policy is incarcerating those affiliated with drugs
Indiscrepancies about weed policy show a disagreement/lack of organization

Drugs will continue to persist - either domestically produced or imported

Should USA change its policy and model Switzerland/Portugal? Focus on rehabilitating and aiding addicts - as opposed to punishing offenders
Should USA change its policy and model Japan/Saudi Arabia? Increase consequences for drug abuse, thus deterring people

What do you think? A lot of money is being spent towards drug policy

tl;dr do you think US drug policy needs to change?

Last edited:
A large percentage of drug addiction is the direct result of misinformation from the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA’s rush to place a new product on the shelf. The first step to counter the problem is to reform those institutions.

As for soft drugs such as marijuana, I think we should follow the Dutch model - technically illegal, but tolerated. In other words, marijuana should be prohibited by law because it does more harm than good if used long-term. However, people should be allowed to purchase a limited amount per week and consume it in their private properties or designated locations set up by city governments. This will reduce the rate of incarceration while boosting the economy and keeping addiction under control.

Last edited:
As for soft drugs such as marijuana, I think we should follow the Dutch model - technically illegal, but tolerated. In other words, marijuana should be prohibited by law because it does more harm than good if used long-term. However, people should be allowed to purchase a limited amount per week and consume it in their private properties or designated locations set up by city governments. This will reduce the rate of incarceration while boosting the economy and keeping addiction under control.
I think people are to blame more than pharmaceutical companies. Drug dealers do anything they can to make a buck, the responsibility falls on the user to break the habit. Skeptics suggests that the CIA secretly operates/operated the international heroin & cocaine business. However this may all be false.

I disagree, weed should be federally legalized. It's as harmful as tobacco and alcohol, and money can be profited from trading it. Keeping it federally illegal prevents medical studies from being conducted, as well as complication in the legal system. If pot was legal, the fed govt could basically own a monopoly on the pot business and make a lot of money.
Moreover, the Dutch model is easily enforced in tiny Netherlands; USA is too vast.

It seems that humanity cannot stay away from substance abuse. Drugs are dangerous but profitable. International battles are fought over the distribution of drugs. If legalized, drugs could be safer to use, readily available, and maximally profited by govt. That sounds bad, but alcohol and other substances and bath salts are readily available and I feel no desire to use those. Likewise I would never buy legal meth or heroin

I don't know about models, but I think personal responsibility comes into play more than anything. I think most drugs should be legalized because people can do what they want with themselves. However, with this legalization, I think drugs should be HEAVILY taxed. This would bring a lot of money to federal and state governments.
Having drugs legalized would also make dealing it less shady. There would be actual businesses selling drugs than underground organizations which may or may not harm their customers. We take the selling of drugs out of the hands of dangerous people (who may lace this stuff with something else) and, hopefully, into someone who is clear about the product they are selling and what risks using drugs comes with (this can be regulated somewhat).

A large percentage of drug addiction is the direct result of misinformation from the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA’s rush to place a new product on the shelf. The first step to counter the problem is to reform those institutions.

I agree there wouldn't be nearly as much opiate/benzo addicts if doctors didn't over prescribe the :censored: out of them over the years. Not saying they're solely to blame but it did play a big part

We can talk about should all we want but talking about will they ever do such a counter business operation thing is another.. the police force can make money off prisons as well. How about talking about how it could be profitable to government for doing nothing and how awareness can be raised?

Should USA change its policy and model Switzerland/Portugal? Focus on rehabilitating and aiding addicts - as opposed to punishing offenders

this

theres nothing inherently wrong with drugs, its the abuse that causes issues (we can get into a discussion about semantics if you want). rehab works if the system supports it

theres nothing inherently wrong with drugs, its the abuse that causes issues (we can get into a discussion about semantics if you want). rehab works if the system supports it
Well, I think decriminalizing drugs is an attitude that drugs are acceptable for people to use as long as it doesn't cause problems. I agree that it is an individual's choice to use or not use drugs. So, I understand the perspective of adopting a 'no harm no foul' attitude.
However, drugs are internationally imported. Countries like Peru, Colombia, and Mexico are profiting from our drug trade. If drugs were deemed acceptable for citizens, then those drugs ought to be domestically produced to support our market. Our climate can support psychoactive plants, and our businesses can manufacture narcotics. It would be nice to have cocaine gum that's appropriately dosed to prevent ODs. Users can confidently buy reliable drugs from reputable companies. So, I think there's an economic component towards drug prohibition.

i agree they should just make rehabilitation more available for addicts.. all the good ones cost a ass load of $$$. Sorry but drugs won't stop coming into the united states anytime soon and people will always use drugs sad truth

Back
Top Bottom