Mosque shootings in New Zealand

Pawn Credits
Pretty horrific. The guy killed 49 people? He had firearns and explosives. The Mosques were attacked during the Friday prayers, a time during which Mosques are generally packed.

Thoughts?

Nationalism and xenophobia are highly complex subjects to discuss, so bear this in mind: there are people that believe that who they deem as "others" are a threat that need to be fought violently, and there are no lengths to which they will not go to see it done. Every subculture that fosters hate against another group is subject to this. Even countries that are historically peaceful have this. Take Norway for example, one of the biggest domestic terrorist actions was done by a white supremacist named Anders Breivik, purely because he felt the political and social momentum of Norway was turning non-Christian and non-traditional. These things happen because refuse to take relativistic perspectives on things and instead revert to a hyper-ethnocentric perspective, which leads to these actions.

In a lot of western cultures, Islamophobia is a very real thing that affects muslims, and this most recent attack is definitely a major example of that. Religious minorities have routinely been targets of domestic terrorists, and until people begin to accept others having different forms of faith, it will continue.

Devastating event. The media refers to the killer as gunmen, instead of terroist. In my eyes and in the eyes of many, he is a terrorist

I wonder why the guy didnt just commit suicide. The suspect is 28 and supposedly live streamed it and posted something on fb before the shooting and if thats the case i wouldve rather just committed suicide then to be imprison. This is so sad to see :(

What a terrible atrocity.
Those people just wanted to have a peaceful ceremony/meeting. That guy really had no regards for human lives.

Devastating event. The media refers to the killer as gunmen, instead of terroist. In my eyes and in the eyes of many, he is a terrorist
He's a terrorist and most (serious) media outlets also call him a terrorist. It's possible early media coverage didn't have enough information to classify the gunmen as a terrorist.

@fading idk why u would post this on a PT forums.

But yes. No matter who u are u should be allowed to practice ur religion in peace and safety and I am pretty sure no one here would deny that

@fading idk why u would post this on a PT forums.

But yes. No matter who u are u should be allowed to practice ur religion in peace and safety and I am pretty sure no one here would deny that
This is general discussion and this is allowed. With that logic, why are threads about abortion and such here too?

This is general discussion and this is allowed. With that logic, why are threads about abortion and such here too?

I mean I wasn’t too big of a fan of that one either...but imo there’s a debate in that and people can walk away learning something.

I’m not here on PT to be shown news about :censored: that gets me depressed. I’m here to enjoy a game that made my childhood good. If you know a little about me irl, you would realize why I in general don’t like even hearing about mass shootings.

Also the way u posted this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There are ways to show respect and hope and prayer for the ones affected, but just posting about a list of horrific things that happened and then asking thoughts as if someone is retarded enough to say that anyone ever murdered for practicing their religion deserved it.

It honestly feels like ur doing this to boost ur post count and not actually pay tribute/respect to the ones affected

Accusing me of increasing my post count. Thanks, cuz it’s not true.

You think I knew about your childhood when posting this?

And if you didn’t know, the world we live in, people are congratulating the gunman.

And you’re the only one who posted that said I’m trying to increase my post count.

What have I said that was disrespectful? Maybe you don’t know that I’m affected by this.

Accusing me of increasing my post count. Thanks, cuz it’s not true.

You think I knew about your childhood when posting this?

And if you didn’t know, the world we live in, people are congratulating the gunman.

And you’re the only one who posted that said I’m trying to increase my post count.

What have I said that was disrespectful? Maybe you don’t know that I’m affected by this.

Yes because islamophobia exists in the western world.

When u say that people are celebrating/congradulating the shooter, they are the minority. Most people with a brain will realize a difference between innocent people praying and an actual threat. Those people who are congratulating are in the minority.

People will always hate other people based on race or religion and it will be impossible to get rid of that. I guarentee if the case was changed to anything, there will be some small group that will see it as positive.

You do pad posts you post everyday some small irrelevant bs that makes no sense and no one cares about. I’m just the first one to call it out. While calling you out on padding posts on this topic specifically is a pretty :censored: move by me, you do pad posts.

I don’t care if you know about my past and honestly I don’t want you to know about me as you pester people constantly on PT. I just personally don’t think we should be talking about this on the forums. This is an opinion and people can disagree with this. Idc

As for the disrespectful part, that comes from me seeing this as a way to pad posts. If that wasn’t ur intention (which to me it was) then I’ll take that back and say i’m sorry

When u say that people are celebrating/congradulating the shooter, they are the minority. Most people with a brain will realize a difference between innocent people praying and an actual threat. Those people who are congratulating are in the minority.

People will always hate other people based on race or religion and it will be impossible to get rid of that. I guarentee if the case was changed to anything, there will be some small group that will see it as positive.

You do pad posts you post everyday some small irrelevant bs that makes no sense and no one cares about. I’m just the first one to call it out. While calling you out on padding posts on this topic specifically is a pretty :censored: move by me, you do pad posts.

I don’t care if you know about my past and honestly I don’t want you to know about me as you pester people constantly on PT. I just personally don’t think we should be talking about this on the forums. This is an opinion and people can disagree with this. Idc

As for the disrespectful part, that comes from me seeing this as a way to pad posts. If that wasn’t ur intention (which to me it was) then I’ll take that back and say i’m sorry
You've hit the nail on the head brother. It's so obvious what he's doing and I wish that he at least had the respect to not do this in response to such tragic events.

I agree with Vague that we should not talk about topics like this on the forums. We are here to enjoy the games, rather than discussing a horrific event and potentially starting a political debate.

Both of you should calm down.

I personally don't see a big problem with fadingbreeze' post - it's possible he just wanted to talk about it or spread awareness that some ideologies can be dangerous.
But I'm also of the opinion that he didn't specifically create this thread to increase his post-count.

I understand this topic is not appropriate for a gaming website. It'd be better to move this thread (and the one about abortions) to another subsection. In the past we had an own section for controversial or political discussions.

There’s nothing wrong with posting and discussing controversial and serious topics in general discussion.

As long as we stay respectful about it as well as stay respectful to each other.

Well said Vague.
Are we as humans completely good or evil? I'm still struggling on answering that....
Islamophobia, xenophobia, every other "phobias" are bad, has no place in society, etc. however, I do think there is an issue regarding extremist views in every religion and there are very real and prominent consequences taking place in many countries when that demographic of people are committing acts of terror in the name of their religion [yes, you can include any other cause].
These conversations are much better when discussed on other platforms where the quality of the audience and participation is much higher, like Vague said.

Personally i dont have a problem with this thread being posted but i agree with Vague that fading does pad his posts and this thread may have been one of them. If threads like this may bother you then you might not want to click on them tho.

I'm from New Zealand, and it's a tragic dark time, this sort of stuff doesn't happen here, ever.
This act of terrorism is the biggest mass killing in New Zealand History.
A lot of heart ache is going around my country right now, People still dont feel safe because we are not used to something like this happening.
Pretty scary stuff, I personally didn't know any of the victims, But my thoughts & prayers are with all the families involved in losing someone special.
I'm still pretty speechless and shocked.

Like many others have said, This probably wasn't meant for PT forums, But Pretty crazy how New Zealand is such a small country and when something like this happens the whole world knows about it, Where in most countries if this happend it's a lot less of a rare occurrence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom