Dev Stuff - What I'm working on

Alex

Administrator
Staff Team
Pawn Credits
Got some really exciting news.

-- If you were thinking of leaving because the game runs choppy for you, watch this thread for updates! --

So I've known for a long time that moving your character around the map causes lag. This can be seen in the following flash player performance monitor window where the bar graphs of how much work is being done occasionally exceeds the time allotment for the framerate (red line). (And all I was doing was moving around the map as lancer)

cpu usage original.png

I decided this is the most important thing to work on next, making the game smooth for everyone. The good news is I roughly replaced the way map tiles are drawn onto the screen and that significantly reduced the amount of work being done!

Here's the new performance monitor window with the edited engine:

new cpu usage.png

I can't release any update yet because so far the engine can only manage to draw the tiles and place them in the correct positions (without rotating them):

new render engine v1 image.png

But as soon as I get it to do the same things the original would, I'll roll out this update for everyone! : )

Got some really exciting news.

-- If you were thinking of leaving because the game runs choppy for you, watch this thread for updates! --

So I've known for a long time that moving your character around the map causes lag. This can be seen in the following flash player performance monitor window where the bar graphs of how much work is being done occasionally exceeds the time allotment for the framerate (red line). (And all I was doing was moving around the map as lancer)

View attachment 253

I decided this is the most important thing to work on next, making the game smooth for everyone. The good news is I roughly replaced the way map tiles are drawn onto the screen and that significantly reduced the amount of work being done!

Here's the new performance monitor window with the edited engine:

View attachment 254

I can't release any update yet because so far the engine can only manage to draw the tiles and place them in the correct positions (without rotating them):

View attachment 255

But as soon as I get it to do the same things the original would, I'll roll out this update for everyone! : )
THIS IS AMAZING!!! One of my biggest issues when I came back was how unsmooth the game felt. I thought it was just the 30 fps but this is super exciting. Great work Alex, you might get me playing more again!

Yeah I just tried using opera and it doesn't work. What a joke haha, flash runs properly in one browser and not in the next.. sigh.

If you really want to try it out it's working for me on firefox 64.0.2 (64-bit) + flash player 32

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/64.0.2/win64/en-GB/Firefox Setup 64.0.2.exe
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_32_for_Firefox_-_NPAPI&os=Windows 7&browser_type=Gecko&browser_dist=Firefox

(make sure to open the adobe link from firefox)
Will try later tonight.

And make sure you're not using private browsing.. happens to me too in firefox when Im using private browsing o.o unless my cache is just messed.

nvm I scrapped what I had, it should work on any browser now but it's even more broken : )

Game freezes momentarily sometimes when you kill someone.
Flags are sometimes not being picked up even if you're continuously trying to walk on it.
Gameplay is pretty smooth just feel like something might be off when you try to knife someone sometimes

Added assault zone and flag tile updating. Everything should now be fully working except the minimap.

This can be seen in the following flash player performance monitor window where the bar graphs of how much work is being done occasionally exceeds the time allotment for the framerate (red line).
Define "work". Is this the total number of time it takes the flash code to execute a certain process?

Last edited:
Alex, I have also noticed problems were I appear to get shot yet take no damage. Or when I knife someone else, hear the sound of my knife hitting them, and they take no damage. Is this just a latency difference?

Back
Top Bottom