Who is..?

The problem with these lists is that there is a lot of nostalgia bias.
If you look at it logically, play styles have changed many times (introduction of melee, juking/backstepping, etc.) and also the player-base composition is vastly different in terms of the age/maturity. It's not hard to be distinguished when you're playing against hundreds/thousands of middle school kids.
Add to the fact that I don't think there's a single person that played the entirety of the PT's history and adapted to the highest level.

It's much better saying who was the best at certain periods than all time. I honestly believe if you put 10 of the current players in a clan (with current play styles/mindset) vs any group from the past (with their prior styles/mindset), the current group will win 8/10 times.

Edit: hell I even put cal on my list but he wouldn't compare to the sults of rn (and he was my clan leader too)

I like that input. Play styles and community have definitely changed and are a big factor when taking this into account. But for the fun of it, we make lists.

E: but you do have to take into account that since there were much more players back then, there was much more competition. And it’s not like all of the PT population was filled with noobs. There were pretty good players back then.

Also Jangalang has been around from the beginning to very recently, he only stopped playing like a few years ago, he played a good amount on SandBoxd.

Last edited:
I like that input. Play styles and community have definitely changed and are a big factor when taking this into account. But for the fun of it, we make lists.

E: but you do have to take into account that since there were much more players back then, there was much more competition. And it’s not like all of the PT population was filled with noobs. There were pretty good players back then.

Also Jangalang has been around from the beginning to very recently, he only stopped playing like a few years ago, he played a good amount on SandBoxd.

That can go both ways. There were a lot of players but a good portion were new / scrubs. At a time like this there are about 30 people who play, all with years of experience.

Chernobyl, Myself, SA, JC, Ganio, Ranger, and Jangalang all still play.
We were all around since basically the beginning.
I was around for PG beta till present except for like 3 years on Sandboxd.

What do you mean by competition? My point specifically mentioned age/maturity - which majority of the player-base lacked. It's not competitive just because there's a lot of people. It's competitive when everyone playing has extensive knowledge about the game.

Assault: Calmador/JohnCena/Jang/TWA/Seph and I’ll throw DX cuz he gave me good assault 1v1s
Guardian: N/A but I guess Jared
Support: Galin/Snipeman/Klonoa
Lancer: IDK tbh I guess tdk Ikidd or whoever you guys said
Heavy: Dan/IPbanned/SuperNoob

Commander: Ranger/ZeryX/IPBanned
Recon: HighFlyJames/ReconX/SniperAim/RevX and I’ll throw Manu in there cuz of sandboxd

Mauler: Eos cuz fast reaction and Bin cuz his aim. Also Komodros was annoying when SIG had a lead
Flag carrier: Incarnation/WiZ/RevX/SniperAim/ReconX
Clan leader: Exclusive/ Zeraton/Dan/Pooky1234123

Yes I put myself there in two back when this game was playable for me with my PC. I probably forgot a few people in certain classes cause I made this on the go.

Last edited:
Assault: Crazed/Calmador
Guardian: Jared (doesn't really matter)
Support: Dixoncider
Lancer: No one
Heavy: Jangalang
Commander: No one
Recon: Manubarca/Vipur
Mauler: Komodros/Manubarca
Flag carrier: Crazed/SniperAim
Clan leader: Dan
Map maker: No one
Mod:
No one
wow my heart...

Note: If someone is really good at a class in 2019 and has been playing for a decade or so, they are likely to be better then majority than quit in 2013.

Assault: CraZeD , Sephiroth
Guardian: Jared
Support: Sniper
Lancer: Can't think of any rn, but currently fadingbreeze has best aim
Heavy: I would have to say me lol, I used to Hev a lot before but now a days I don't
Commander: zeryx
Recon: Manubarca
Mauler: Komdros, Chernobyl
Flag carrier: SniperAim
Clan leader: Zeraton (Because he actually helped inexperienced players improve rather than booting)
Map maker: Idk
Mod:
Raichuu
love is real

Assault: too humble to say myself so karnage or legend
Guardian: wiz
Support: georgeimedic jk dixoncider
Lancer: legend
Heavy: legend
Commander: idk lol
Recon: manubarca
Mauler: komodros
Flag carrier: idk
Clan leader: legend/wiz
Map maker whoever made rivalry
Mod:
sacred

I definetly remember Calmador, but it to young to think about GOAT status. I just played for fun. I know ive seen him in wars too, but dont remember his skills.

Calmador and Seph were the closest players to match me in the assault class...

Sephiroth might have even surpassed me at one point but calmador never really was at my level.

It's much better saying who was the best at certain periods than all time. I honestly believe if you put 10 of the current players in a clan (with current play styles/mindset) vs any group from the past (with their prior styles/mindset), the current group will win 8/10 times.

Edit: hell I even put cal on my list but he wouldn't compare to the sults of rn (and he was my clan leader too)

Well this is interesting. While most people have agreed that it is unfair to compare skill levels across generations, they have generally said it because they felt that the players of Sandboxd are of generally lesser skill than those of the old community. So, to my understanding, your primary arguements are regarding age/maturity and knowledge of the game. First part, yup. It's not likely to think that any of us were at the age of peak cognitive ability back in Pawn era, so the players of Sandboxd should on average be smarter. However with increasing age, follows the inability to spend :censored: tons of hours per day playing this game, as opposing to when we were all 12. For myself I believe that my skill level topped when I could no-life this for hours every day and that the increase in age/maturity wasn't nearly sufficent to compensate for the concomitant loss of practice hours. I can't say as to whether this holds true for the general population, but I'm assuming that's what you think and I'm rather curious as to why?
Your second point about the knowledge of the game I don't really get. What knowledge do we have now that we did not have back then? I remember we had guides for everything back then, from classes and even for specific maps

"It's not competitive just because there's a lot of people."
This is the only point I downright disagree with. If there is a greater amount of people competing for the same goal, it can only be logical to think that it will be harder for everyone to achieve that goal. Like the need to better yourself would be greater if you're fighting for i.e. a scholarship between 20000 versus 2 potential applicants. How is this not the same principle

Well this is interesting. While most people have agreed that it is unfair to compare skill levels across generations, they have generally said it because they felt that the players of Sandboxd are of generally lesser skill than those of the old community. So, to my understanding, your primary arguements are regarding age/maturity and knowledge of the game. First part, yup. It's not likely to think that any of us were at the age of peak cognitive ability back in Pawn era, so the players of Sandboxd should on average be smarter. However with increasing age, follows the inability to spend :censored: tons of hours per day playing this game, as opposing to when we were all 12. For myself I believe that my skill level topped when I could no-life this for hours every day and that the increase in age/maturity wasn't nearly sufficent to compensate for the concomitant loss of practice hours. I can't say as to whether this holds true for the general population, but I'm assuming that's what you think and I'm rather curious as to why?
Your second point about the knowledge of the game I don't really get. What knowledge do we have now that we did not have back then? I remember we had guides for everything back then, from classes and even for specific maps

This is the only point I downright disagree with. If there is a greater amount of people competing for the same goal, it can only be logical to think that it will be harder for everyone to achieve that goal. Like the need to better yourself would be greater if you're fighting for i.e. a scholarship between 20000 versus 2 potential applicants. How is this not the same principle

Think about it this way, the same people that are playing the game currently, have been playing since 2008-2011.
They may not be able to commit the same amount of hours as they did when they were younger, but their cumulative hours have grown exponentially.
They are more experienced, older/more mature, they understand strategies now, and they have complete sense of the game as a whole.

I would say there's multiple things going on when it comes to looking at skill across generations in a compare/contrast basis.

For Pawn era being more competitive:
- More people, which means there's more overall competition and people trying their hearts out. More people cared about the game then, versus the 30 or so people currently (even then I sincerely doubt all 30 care about the game as much as they did when they were kids)
- More than 2 clans means clan wars were very competitive, especially when you would get BHS v SVG or GOP v SIG
- More playstyles, as currently I say without a doubt that this is the most defensive meta in PT history and no one deviates from it

For Sandboxd/new site era being more competitive:
- More mature players, meaning decision making is much better
- Players have spent several consecutive years playing this game, getting better and better, more so than those who played for 2 years, were really good, then quit
- Smaller community, which means rivalries are much more concentrated

The Same People Play This Game Every Day, Everyone knows the basic fundamentals at this point, skill level is almost the same between every player. Some players are obviously much better than others in terms of knowing what theyre doing.

What's interesting is that during Pawn there were so many 2/3/4+ KDs whereas in the Sanboxd era a good KD was considered ~1.25-1.3+

No point in making lists that argue for best of all time. Better to make lists stating the current best because it's impossible to compare players from different eras of the game. Yes, some of us were the best at one point (especially if we were able to play 8 hours a day). The list of the best is constantly changing though due to fluctuating time commitments toward the game.

Best overall atm is prob Legend imo.

Back
Top Bottom