Pro Choice or Pro Life?

There are several people posting in this thread that seem to omit themselves from eating meat because they care about the animals life. Yet these same people think it's perfectly okay to kill children.
If you're talking about me, I'm all for eating meat and aborting babies.

Also my point about adoption agencies vs Foster homes is this: If you don't have the option of the abortion, when do you make the decision you don't want your kid? If you can't have the abortion, once you see the kid you might be un-able to provide for him/her (this is sex not gender to any of u crazy cats out there), but also unable to give him/her up. Fast forward two years and after fulling realizing the responsibility of raising a child, you THEN are fully able to process your resentment, and you decide to send the kid to a foster home. The summary is that kids who would have been aborted, will not necessarily end up in the adoption agencies that are currently very efficient. Also not all babies are accepted by these adoption agencies (based on their parents decisions ofc).
If you eat any of those things that I listed, and assuming it wasn't homegrown, then you turned your head to the exploitation of an animal because it was convenient to you.
No, it is not out of convenience. It is out of a lack of a viable alternative. That is not convenience, that is the ugliness of the situation. I do not have access to home-grown produce, and if I do, they aren't marketing it as such so there is no way for me to know. I'm saying that the exploitation in slaughterhouses is much worse than the exploitation of bees, due to the processes at hand. I'm not going to kill myself so something else can live, that would be not valuing my own life, and as an animal it is my instinct to make sure I am taken care of first. But I am blessed enough to be living in a society where I can choose to care for myself AND other forms of life, without too much sacrifice. I don't see how me killing bees AND pigs is not obviously worse than me killing just bees. I still need fruit in my diet either way? It's about MINIMIZING your detriment to other forms of life AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. It's not about putting myself on a pedestal to say I am the most ethical man alive.

Why not care about every life? From a pig to a human baby?

A sentinent life is a life, regardless of what species it is.

Most animals dont share the conscience presence as we humans do. They dont have the same advanced social, and intellectual abilities that we humans have. Pigs dont look in a mirror and say hey man im fat, time to lose some weight. They dont give a :censored:. They can roll around in their own urine and poop, not think anything is wrong.
If you were to ask me what has the better chance at saving the world a human or a pig. im gonna rank the human above the pig everytime. Therefore in my eyes a human life is much more valuable then a pigs.

@zen I care about human life.

Most animals dont share the conscience presence as we humans do. They dont have the same advanced social, and intellectual abilities that we humans have. Pigs dont look in a mirror and say hey man im fat, time to lose some weight. They dont give a :censored:. They can roll around in their own urine and poop, not think anything is wrong.
If you were to ask me what has the better chance at saving the world a human or a pig. im gonna rank the human above the pig everytime. Therefore in my eyes a human life is much more valuable then a pigs.

So in your opinion intelligence is equivalent to importance? So human A who comes from the rich, spoiled background and gets the best education possible, is more important than human B who is relatively unintelligent due to being raised without an education? That's the same as judging animals as inferior to do their brain capacity. Just like the environment we are born into, we cannot control our brain capacity, so I do not see how that is grounds for superiority.

I don’t see how me eating pigs so that I can kill less bees is worse than you killing bees so that you can kill less pigs.

The more pig I eat the less room for me to eat produce that resulted in the death of bees.

I don’t see how me eating pigs so that I can kill less bees is worse than you killing bees so that you can kill less pigs.

The more pig I eat the less room for me to eat produce that resulting in the death of bees.
In one circumstance one is directly killing an animal, while in another circumstance one is foraging food which indirectly results in the death of bees.

Also pigs are a terrible example because they were domesticated by humans. They roll around in mud and fecies because they have been bred to be dumb. I doubt wild hogs would exhibit the same behavior.

If you're talking about me, I'm all for eating meat and aborting babies.
You are you are anti-abortion because you care about life. But we are disproving your premise that you care about life.

I don't want to defend Dx (I'm pro-choice after all), but I don't see how he's a hypocrite if he's fine with killing/eating animals while being against abortions.

If his belief is that humans are more important than animals then that's his moral stance.
To be honest, it's like blaming someone who tries to be enviromentally aware by using his bike instead of a car for smoking cigarettes, because that is bad for the enviroment too.

And I personally value human lives over other lifeforms. We even differentiate between animals. Dogs/cats and other animals we keep as pets have a higher status.
Or what about insects? Almost everyone here would prefer mammals over insects (bees and bumblebees are cool tho).

So you're describing the life of a pig in human captivity? Have you seen studies on wild pigs? They don't behave that way.

A life is a life and none should be ranked above any.

The fact that most humans have this ego that they are more important than every other living being, makes me feel less sympathy toward human issues. It makes me feel less bad about human problems in general.

The more pig I eat the less room for me to eat produce that resulted in the death of bees.

I addressed your bee point in my previous post. The bee problem is caused by humans to begin with. It wouldn't be a problem if humans didn't create it.

@crim I fail to see how that changes anything. Yes humans are the ones loading these bees into trucks so that they can ship them all over the country to pollinate various crops. But we’re the ones choosing to eat that produce anyway. There are other food options like you mentioned. I’m arguing that you can’t decide which animals life is acceptable to exploit and which isn’t. And you can’t judge someone else for choosing a different animal than you.

@crim I fail to see how that changes anything. Yes humans are the ones loading these bees into trucks so that they can ship them all over the country to pollinate various crops. But we’re the ones choosing to eat that produce anyway. There are other food options like you mentioned. I’m arguing that you can’t decide which animals life is acceptable to exploit and which isn’t. And you can’t judge someone else for choosing a different animal than you.

How about none of them are acceptable to exploit?

You don't eat fruit bro? I eat the same amount of fruit on my vegetarian diet as I did before going vegetarian (Except maybe bananas, by a little bit?). If I ate pigs I would be killing pigs AND bees. There is no trade off. I'm saying I currently cannot survive without killing bees, and that sucks. I would agree that for some vegetarians the amount of bees killed would increase, due to an increase of fruits in their diet, but I am arguing that the net welfare of animals is better off regardless.

That might be a fair stance to have but so many people would die of starvation.
That's why it's a process :D --> Goals aren't reached overnight, they can take generations!!

If his belief is that humans are more important than animals then that's his moral stance.
Are moral stances not to be governed by reason? I am looking for him to either further clarify his reasoning or change his argument.

That might be a fair stance to have but so many people would die of starvation.

Not true lol. Right now parts of the world are still dying of starvation

As we talk about this stuff today, the amazon rainforest is being cut down to plant crops to FEED CATTLE.

Why? So that we can then in turn eat the cattle.

If we just didn't eat the cattle.. and didn't destroy the rainforest to do so. If we used these crops to feed ourselves...

World hunger would end 3x over.

Again, I eat meat. I am a part of the problem as well. Doesn't mean I should be in denial about it though.

Reactions: zen
So in your opinion intelligence is equivalent to importance? So human A who comes from the rich, spoiled background and gets the best education possible, is more important than human B who is relatively unintelligent due to being raised without an education? That's the same as judging animals as inferior to do their brain capacity. Just like the environment we are born into, we cannot control our brain capacity, so I do not see how that is grounds for superiority.

Things that seperate animals from humans.

Who do you call when...

You get in a car accident: Humans
When you need a tooth removed: Humans
When you have a heart murmur: Humans
When you need groceries: Humans
When you need medication: Humans
When you buy a car: Humans

I value humans more then animals.

To answer your question above, I think the values of humans do differ.
If you have cancer, and you need to get treament. How would you proceed?

A.) Go see a doctor
B.) Talk to a drug addict
C.) Play patty cake with a homeless man

Would you pick A? Would you say that at that moment the doctors value was increased in your eyes? Take into consideration what the definition of value actually means. I will put it below while you ponder your answer.

"the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something"

Things that seperate animals from humans.
Value in context such as this generally refers to other variables held constant (unless said otherwise), as is the norm of analytics. Are you going to list any of these things that separate* animals from humans? Or just give examples of jobs that humans are able to perform due to their (inherent) brain capacity?

Again, I eat meat. I am a part of the problem as well. Doesn't mean I should be in denial about it though.
I respect that

Not true lol. Right now parts of the world are still dying of starvation

As we talk about this stuff today, the amazon rainforest is being cut down to plant crops to FEED CATTLE.

Why? So that we can then in turn eat the cattle.

If we just didn't eat the cattle.. and didn't destroy the rainforest to do so. If we used these crops to feed ourselves...

World hunger would end 3x over.

If you think we could pollinate enough crops without exploiting bees to feed everyone who stops eating meat then you are in denial bro.

Back
Top Bottom