Pro Choice or Pro Life?

Value in context such as this generally refers to other variables held constant (unless said otherwise), as is the norm of analytics. Are you going to list any of these things that separate* animals from humans? Or just give examples of jobs that humans are able to perform due to their (inherent) brain capacity?

I respect that

Probably after you start answering my questions, that way this is a debate and not an interrogation.

Do you realize in America we would lose about 1/3 of our crops if we stopped exploiting bees?

The world is a big place. It would take much bigger picture pov to get it done. Definitely not impossible though.

Il quote some experts on this:
experts said:
The source of the myth is the 1976 Pollination Handbook, which wrote in its summary, “one-third of our total diet is dependent, directly or indirectly, upon insect-pollinated plants.” The report noted concerns about the bee pollination, a trend already in place for decades and with no link to today’s bogeyman, neonicotinoids, which were not introduced until the 1990s — after which the global bee population began its gradual recovery.

Here are the facts about crops and bees:

Sixty percent of America’s crops can grow just fine without bees. Wheat, corn and rice are wind-pollinated. Lettuce, beans and tomatoes are self-pollinated. The 12 crops that worldwide furnish nearly 90 percent of the world’s food — rice, wheat, maize (corn), sorghums, millets, rye, and barley, and potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassavas or maniocs, bananas and coconuts — are wind pollinated, self-pollinated or are propagated asexually or develop without the need for fertilization (parthenocarpically).

It’s true that about 35 percent of America’s crops — about a third — rely to some extenton bees. Sometimes the bees are essential. In other cases, they’re nice to have around, but their absence does not present a crisis. A 2007 study in the Proceedings of the Royal Society quantified the importance of bees on a crop-to-crop basis.

So crops like strawberries, sunflower and chestnuts are classified as having a “moderate” yield boost from bee pollination. That means they see a 10 to 40 percent addition to production from bees.

The only way you can say bees “are responsible” for a third of our food supply is by giving bees 100 percent credit for the value of each and every crop over which a bee might hover when, in reality, bees play a minor role in 28 crops.

We could easily survive, though maybe you wont get the exact food that your taste preference desires.

Perhaps in theory it is obtainable. I won’t deny that. But do you honestly believe there is any remote chance of that ACTUALLY happening? I truthfully don’t and I believe you are being dishonest with yourself if you think it might. In the meantime I won’t look down on anyone eating almonds or cucumbers and I request the same from anyone who sees me eating a ham and cheese omelet.

Probably after you start answering my questions, that way this is a debate and not an interrogation.
Who do you call when...

You get in a car accident: Humans
When you need a tooth removed: Humans
When you have a heart murmur: Humans
When you need groceries: Humans
When you need medication: Humans
When you buy a car: Humans

I value humans more then animals.

To answer your question above, I think the values of humans do differ.
If you have cancer, and you need to get treament. How would you proceed?

A.) Go see a doctor
B.) Talk to a drug addict
C.) Play patty cake with a homeless man

Would you pick A? Would you say that at that moment the doctors value was increased in your eyes? Take into consideration what the definition of value actually means. I will put it below while you ponder your answer.

"the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something"
If you're talking about this, I ignored it because it was a derailment, but if you have any related questions you are welcome to shoot.
If you are asking if I value the doctor's life more than the homeless man's life, then my answer is no.

Perhaps in theory it is obtainable. I won’t deny that. But do you honestly believe there is any remote chance of that ACTUALLY happening? I truthfully don’t and I believe you are being dishonest with yourself if you think it might. In the meantime I won’t look down on anyone eating almonds or cucumbers and I request the same from anyone who sees me eating a ham and cheese omelet.
Depends on what time frame you're looking at. Within my life-time? I would be shocked to have the system perfected

Actually I don’t think its ever going to happen. I don’t look down on anyone as I said I also eat meat. People can and will do what they want & who am I to stop them.

But I still want to know the truth regardless

Humans in my opinion are by nature selfish beings who will never care enough about the earth or anything to save it.

If humans ever do go extinct, the earth will thrive in my opinion.

If you're talking about this, I ignored it because it was a derailment, but if you have any related questions you are welcome to shoot.
If you are asking if I value the doctor's life more than the homeless man's life, then my answer is no.

Depends on what time frame you're looking at. Within my life-time? I would be shocked to have the system perfected

Well if you are unable or unwilling to participate in answering my questions after I answered all of your questions then I think maybe the conversation is over.

@TheCriminaL
So you value a pig as equals with a human being?

And to be honest, children are usually more expensive than abortions for tax payers (at least in Germany).

same can be said for the US in the long term. in fact taxpayers in most states that allow abortion don't pay for it whatsoever

Carnivores and omnivores are not subjected to heart disease and blockage meaning they can eat pounds of meat endlessly and nothing will happen. If humans do so, they eventually get blockage in arteries leading to heart attack and stroke.

look at hunter/gatherer groups, almost none die from heart disease (the ones that do are due to genetic illnesses or mutations). heart disease is more caused by sedentariness than food intake

even if abortions were illegal, they would still be happening

yup. illegal abortions are also dangerous to the pregnant women, as coat hanger abortions and other forms of non-medically induced abortions can lead to permanent damage

So you value a pig as equals with a human being?

the US government also thinks this way, as there are more subsidies for pig farmers than child development

Reactions: zen
Well if you are unable or unwilling to participate in answering my questions after I answered all of your questions then I think maybe the conversation is over.
You should try proposing a valid argument instead of using red-herrings :p

Humans in my opinion are by nature selfish beings who will never care enough about the earth or anything to save it.

If humans ever do go extinct, the earth will thrive in my opinion.

This I agree with 100%.

And to bring things back on topic, the fact that some people would rather have a late term abortion than give the baby up for adoption is one example of that selfish nature.

Things that seperate animals from humans.

Who do you call when...

You get in a car accident: Humans
When you need a tooth removed: Humans
When you have a heart murmur: Humans
When you need groceries: Humans
When you need medication: Humans
When you buy a car: Humans

I value humans more then animals.

To answer your question above, I think the values of humans do differ.
If you have cancer, and you need to get treament. How would you proceed?

A.) Go see a doctor
B.) Talk to a drug addict
C.) Play patty cake with a homeless man

Would you pick A? Would you say that at that moment the doctors value was increased in your eyes? Take into consideration what the definition of value actually means. I will put it below while you ponder your answer.

"the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something"

What do you want to see when you go to the zoo?
Animals

You guys are so off topic that I didn't even read half of these posts. @7 The argument "you eat animals that aren't human and thus you are a hypocrite" is such a reach. Why don't you actually debate why abortion, in your opinion, is correct morally without trying to prove someone is a hypocrite. I am guessing you do have arguments for such a thing, so do it instead of this :censored:.
I am pro-life and am of the opinion that life starts at conception. I am open to other opinions if I find them logically and morally sound enough, but this has not happened so far. Anybody who is pro-life needs to describe when the baby in their view is granted rights (i.e. when life begins) and what qualities the baby has at that time (i.e is it because they have developed a brain? Heart starts beating? etc.). Then we need to discuss if this is an accurate metric for the determination of life. The cutoff cannot be arbitrary, there must be a reason.
My reason for pro-life starting at conception is that at this point it is a human being with all of the genetic code it will ever have. It is an unborn child forming in his/her mother's stomach. Hell, the heartbeat begins in the first month and in the the baby begins to develop eyes, a face, and blood cells very early on. This genetic metric is the only consistent point in time where we don't commit some moral atrocity that, if elaborated on, we would find reprehensible.

You guys are so off topic that I didn't even read half of these posts. @7 The argument "you eat animals that aren't human and thus you are a hypocrite" is such a reach. Why don't you actually debate why abortion, in your opinion, is correct morally without trying to prove someone is a hypocrite. I am guessing you do have arguments for such a thing, so do it instead of this bitchiness.
I am pro-life and am of the opinion that life starts at conception. I am open to other opinions if I find them logically and morally sound enough, but this has not happened so far. Anybody who is pro-life needs to describe when the baby in their view is granted rights (i.e. when life begins) and what qualities the baby has at that time (i.e is it because they have developed a brain? Heart starts beating? etc.). Then we need to discuss if this is an accurate metric for the determination of life. The cutoff cannot be arbitrary, there must be a reason.
My reason for pro-life starting at conception is that at this point it is a human being with all of the genetic code it will ever have. It is an unborn child forming in his/her mother's stomach. Hell, the heartbeat begins in the first month and in the the baby begins to develop eyes, a face, and blood cells very early on. This genetic metric is the only consistent point in time where we don't commit some moral atrocity that, if elaborated on, we would find reprehensible.

going with this, i am of the opinion that a baby cannot be called one until it can live outside of the womb.

that said, I also believe that "life" is a fluid term across cultures, so having a universalist argument is a very ethnocentric and uneducated

To anyone who considers themself pro-life, are you also anti-abortion in the case of rape?

You guys are so off topic that I didn't even read half of these posts. @7 The argument "you eat animals that aren't human and thus you are a hypocrite" is such a reach. Why don't you actually debate why abortion, in your opinion, is correct morally without trying to prove someone is a hypocrite. I am guessing you do have arguments for such a thing, so do it instead of this bitchiness.
Honestly I've felt my discussion with Liquid and Dx (besides the last comment), have been pretty spot on in advancing the discussion. Liq has made me think a lot about parts of my belief system and crim has introduced some perspectives I hadn't thought about. I think at first 7 was not wrong in pointing out the logical inconsistency.

going with this, i am of the opinion that a baby cannot be called one until it can live outside of the womb.

that said, I also believe that "life" is a fluid term across cultures, so having a universalist argument is a very ethnocentric and uneducated
Agreed, that's why I tried to go after the other premise that life is to be valued, because I find the argument of when someone is legally considered alive to be somewhat arbitrary. I don't think there it is as black and white as the other ideas.

Life for now concerns me just in the United States. If we cannot agree on the definition of life in the United States, we will have a damn hard time trying to make laws which prevents me from killing other people. It must be defined here. Eventually, it should be defined universally, but for now I will settle for US.
@zen, I don't think 7's pointing out people eating meat was fruitful to the discussion. I care significantly more about humans than I do about other animals. If we want to discuss why that is at a later date we can, but the life of a bear, fish, crab, or a cow combined aren't worth more than the life of my mother or any single individual in my family. I hope it isn't just me who feels this way.
@Chernobyl The womb is just a location. I find this a weak argument currently as location doesn't really affect whether I am alive or not. If you are referring to dependency, I also think this is a mute point because a baby out of the womb is very dependent. Hell, if I were to leave a baby on its own for a day it would probably die.

@zen, I don't think 7's pointing out people eating meat was fruitful to the discussion. I care significantly more about humans than I do about other animals.
Look man, one of Dx's premises for pro-life was that he valued life. 7 Pointed out the logical inconsistency, which is how discussions work. You either counter the premise, or suggest that the conclusion does not follow from the premises. This is basic discussion. Dx then changed his premise to him valuing HUMAN life, which is not the same as all life, which then allowed us to better understand his viewpoint.

without getting into the complexities of cultural acceptance of abortion and practices therein

same

abortions are more safe than many will have you believe
I'm using John Oliver clips because his research team is amazing
I watched the entire first video, but not the second (because time is limited). It was revealed to me that abortion has a .0007% death rate, lesser chance than colonoscopy, but what about damage to female genitalia? To be honest I'm going off of purely what my mom has said (who has had an abortion), but the hook inside of a woman can damage a woman. I don't think that future miscarriages or problems during pregnancies were accounted for in his first video. I don't think that was left out of the video by accident, abortions still seem risky..

Look man, one of Dx's premises for pro-life was that he valued life. 7 Pointed out the logical inconsistency, which is how discussions work. You either counter the premise, or suggest that the conclusion does not follow from the premises. This is basic discussion. Dx then changed his premise to him valuing HUMAN life, which is not the same as all life, which then allowed us to better understand his viewpoint.
You know what, sure. If it was just to clear up confusion about what life Dx was referring to, then yes it was useful. However, I don't believe this is this case as this distinction seems really obvious. I am actually not really sure what @7 is even arguing at this point.

Reactions: zen
Back
Top Bottom